Sunday, September 14, 2008

The face of Delhi changes in 30 minutes

Some of you will be aware of the bomb blasts in Delhi on Saturday night. There were 5 blasts one was about 15 minutes from us, however we felt nothing, 90 people were injured and 30 died. We've been advised to avoid open markets but can go to the mall as there is security to get in there. I think it is hard for those who live here as its their home and safety which has been damaged. I don't feel concerned for my safety.

Saturday afternoon we went to the local market, i have to admit it was a little stressful walking on the road with the traffic. We only stayed an hour, enough time to buy some Dvd's, bath mat and iced tea. On the way back Nicki pushed me, i have to laugh because she was so focused looking left, then right, forward behind, looking for not just cars but tuk tuk's, bikes and people all at the same time mind you, she just went for it, as she ran across the road yelling aaaaggghhh!!

Saturday nighs dinner in the foyer with the other patients and their friends, parents, wife's, husbands, siblings, was great, about 19 of us. Its interesting to hear each others story, the people they had to leave at home and who is with them. There are mostly Australians here. We ordered pizza from pizza hut and shared with some others. Everyone here is at a different stage in their life, they are here with hope in their heart, the strength and determination to succeed, to do everything they can to suck the 'marrow' out of life, I feel so at home here (on a personal level not physical) even though we are strangers we share an unspoken common bond. Its so great to not verbalise my feelings and someone just knows what my soul speaks by a simple look or a smile - they dont imagine what its like, they know.

Because of the bomb blasts our plans to go to the market changed on Sunday. Nick left at 6.30am with Andrew to visit the Taj Mahal and returned at 9.30 pm. It was a long day but she was glad she did it. Michelle and i stayed at the hospital, the day dragged a bit, we even got excited when lunch arrived (we are so sad!)

Even though there wasn't physio on Sunday we still had injections, just one in the morning and in the evening. Monday morning i went through physio, then had an injection in my arm and shared the second injection in each calf muscle, it feels like a bee sting. I was then measured up for new foot supports, the physio therapist felt the ones i brought with me don't support my foot enough, apparently they will arrive in about 3 days, lets see how we go!

I can't believe one week has gone by already, 7 more weeks to go. Thanks again for all your posts, hearing from friends and family really helps keep my sanity, well some of my sanity!

10 comments:

Bill and Sam said...

Hi there Claire!
Hope all is well, we can't believe you're in India!I hate to admit it, but all I'm imagining you doing when you go out is popping down to see Apu at the quickie Mart (Simpsons)...lol. Holy Cow, that was sad...pun intended...holy cow, get it? Ok, this is Bill and Sam's making me sign my name to all of the above...its not her fault i have a terrible sense of humour! Bill xx
Please excuse the American....
But seriously folks... we love reading your daily updates and getting an insight into your India experience. Keep up the good work and spirits, our thoughts are with you...Sam xx

Russ said...

Claire,

I have so many questions for you! I can't wait until you're back home safe and sound so we can chat. Maybe a trip to India is in my future as well! Your courage - as always - is so awesome and encouraging, it's contagious! You are the greatest hope for all of us dealing with FSHD. All of my hopes and thoughts are with you!

Russ said...

Claire,

I have so many questions for you! I can't wait until you're back home safe and sound so we can chat. Maybe a trip to India is in my future as well! Your courage - as always - is so awesome and encouraging, it's contagious! You are the greatest hope for all of us dealing with FSHD. All of my hopes and thoughts are with you!

John said...

Hi Claire!
It was great to talk to you last night. I've never done this before (written in/on a blog before that is) I just had to send a message of support. You are a great inspiration to us all. We think of you all the time. Only problem is that your Mum can't organise you from here.Keep the blogs going! It will be a great source for your next book.
I suspect that there are many more stories to be told. Some perhaps that will remain untold? OK keep dodgen them cows.
See you soon on the putter!
Love
John

marcus said...

Trust me Claire, sanity is over rated and such a minority group to belong too :-)

Talking council business here, will you be voting in absentee about the planning issue affecting RIVERVIEW CHURCH thats coming up soon?

I look forward to reading your blog each day,
marcus (as in overweight cuz)

hayden said...

oy!!!!! lets do it!!!! blog time!!!guess im like the "outlaw" blogger, mmm grappas worn off ,a bit ha ha ....your lucky! and yes i know your mums watching, hi mum.... two things to "blog" in tonight princess!!! ha ha numero uno..........bet your the prettiest girl there? ha ha

numero duo..... get that stemcell cranking so you can get your cute arse back here to dance!!!

"sambas" in fashion!!! dont like its tempo , but we could make it happin!!!! ha ha ....oh dont ban me bear!!!!

see ya "funky bum" .... xx ps lock your bundas!!!

Roger said...

Heya Claire ...
Once again your colourful discriptions are the most!! ... You still sound the same Claire, so I'd say youre sane (or at least as sane as you were before you left, if that helps) ... I'm still shopping for my car (which I think I've found - at least it 'feels' like its mine ... ooooo-k, I'll explain THAT later!!) ... it's not yellow - like the one you said 'wasnt me' ;)) ... you've probably heard that we have a new state government!! (youre a polie so I thought that may be of interest) ... still looking for someone to teach me German - no real success at all on that front :( ... apart from that, the sky is blue (most times), the flowers are blooming and birds are singing ... wishing you and all team india wellness, sweets and joy ... and joyness :) xx ... ciao, Rog.

marcus said...

He Roger,

Wenn Sie Deutsch lernen wollen, kommt der leichte Weg gerade zu dieser Seite http: // translation2.paralink.com/:-)

hayden said...

oy!!! you....pretty thing!!!...renegade blogger strikes again!!!...its so tempting now to blog you care bear!!!especialy when you ignore me on "msn" gggggggrrrrrrrr.....you said "yoga" and then some!!!

whole point of this blog!!! ha ha .........keepin it real!!! offering balace !!!! ha ha i hope!!!...you shouldnt have sent me the "tag" bear!!! now i got it ...im going to be expressive!!! ha ha can you "blog ban" someone?
yer well you might!!! but at least i will get this one in!!!

say hi to "tiffany" hope your not cheating in "yoga" ......ride the "breath" babe !!! its a secret, but ive told you now!!! friends yer? gggrrrrr ask your mum how come your so "pretty"?.and keep on keepin on!!! you little "tough arse warrior"......

ha ha go get em babe your "born for it".....
shall i go now babe? ha ha ha

your beautiful xxx

be well and take care!!!!''

and remember "grasshopper" from the "heart" its all that matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps and dont block me ,i love bloggin!!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Claire!! Just wanted to send you a note with love and positive thoughts to encourage you through your treatment... You are so brave and we are with you in spirit!! Hang in there - keep your chin up!! Lots of love, Fiona, Nige, Kili and Jorja xxxx