Sunday, November 29, 2009

Just keep swimming!


To express how I'm feeling I'll quote a line from the movie "Finding Nemo: - 'Just keep swimming, just keep swimming' Thought that was better than trying to speak whale! I had my first procedure on Thursday it was a Cordral block which Dr Ashish is now doing at this hospital. I had this procedure on my first visit and it was extremely painful, lets just say I wasn't going into theatre with out a local anaesthetic and Dr Ashish agreed - phew! It really is just a glamorous procedure (she says tongue in cheek!) I lay on my tummy with a pillow under my pelvis, bum in the air slightly and Dr Ashish injects the stem cells into the base of your spine, all I needed was an apple in my mouth and I could have been a Christmas pig!! No pain this time and the theatre staff transferred me onto a bed in a room on the 3rd floor, 2 bricks under the feet of the bed to raise it up and I lay there for 4 hours, with Sabine right next to me, on top of me, feeding me tea through a straw and biscuits too, she was very attentive and caring. I've added the picture. I felt fine the next day so lets just see what the cells can do for me.
Sabine started her first day at an International British school on Thursday, she did 3 hours then Friday she attended 10 - 3.30 and absolutely loves it. I was bit apprehensive but she kept nagging me and so I let her go and it was well worth it. Shes doing all her homework and learning Hindi then in the afternoon she participates in craft classes, so shes back there again tomorrow (Monday)
I had another IV yesterday and had a high temperature (100.5) and aching body, I really hate that feeling but I know in a few hours it passes, so Sabine curled up in bed with me ate popcorn and watched a movie. I had a big cry Saturday night (once sabine was asleep) my body felt really tired after the IV, tired, sore, angry, sad....so what else to do but just take a minute to feel the emotions and then move on from it, trying to welcome the new stem cells into my body so they have the best environment to grow.
I was feeling better today so we went to City Walk to have lunch at Spaghetti's and do some shopping.
Tomorrow it all starts again and I will be having another procedure they will inject into the Brachial Plexis, I had to google it as I had no idea! Its something to do with the shoulder, as you can see I'm still not quite clear but I'll know more tomorrow. Tonight the nurse will inject into the palm of each hand (you know that fleshy bit near the thumb) hopefully that will help my hands. Actually the other day the nurse came in the morning with 2 injections and asked where did I want them? I don't usually get a choice so I was excited and confused, so many muscles so little time!! Decided to go for the Dorsiflex Muscle, its the muscle that brings the foot up when you step so you don't trip over your toes, which I have to wear ankle foot orthotics to prevent this. I've never had this muscle injected so lets see what will happen - we can only try :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Claire,
what a beautiful photo of you and Sabine. I feel the same way seeing it as I do when Cam or H climb onto my lap/or into our bed for a cuddle - no matter how big they are, they'll always be our 'babies' - our precious ones. The photo speaks of courage, togetherness and teamwork. Valia - are you avoiding the camera?

Love that Sabine is attending the international school - what a great experience.

Thinking of you in your pin cushion state - go those cells!

Love us

Bill and Sam said...

Hi Claire!!!

So good to hear about the latest trip...as usual it sounds like slowly but surely is the way to go.

Well done Sabine for being such a good help not only to your mum but the other patients as well.

We are thinking of you all, keep swimming Claire!!

Love Sam and Bill xxx

Julkie said...

Hi Claire,

What can i say - you put us all to shame, you are so brave and positive and confident. As always you keeping smiling through all the obstacles and face each day head on, you are such an inspiration!

And that Sabine can be with you this time round, how fantastic for you both. I'm glad she has the opportunity to see life in India at such a young age - she must be absolutely bowled over!
Hope everything goes smoothly for you,
love and hugs,
Julie, Vince and Rebecca XXX