Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Lollies or Chocolate?

Picture of Sabine helping the nurse take my blood pressure.
I had my procedure on Monday as planned. I was wheeled into the theatre to see Dr Ashish and he asked me which shoulder I'd like to have injected, how on earth could I make that decision, I wanted both arms!! It was like trying to choose between chocolate or lollies! He went on to explain that he would be injecting both but just 1 shoulder at a time, ooohhhhh, alright then! So I decided on the right. Dr Ashish injected through my underarm and as he hit the nerve I could feel my hand jump. He then injected the local anaesthetic and then followed with the stemcells. It was all over in 15 minutes. I was put back in my chair and taken to my room where I had to lay on my left side for 1 hour. My arm was so numb, just like when you've been asleep on it, 2 hours went by and it was still numb, I started to worry abit. I waited another hour and still couldn't move my arm or feel anything so I called the Dr on duty and she explained that the anaesthetic would last for 8 -10 hours! I didn't go to physio in the afternoon and just decided to rest, I felt quite wobbly on my feet even though it was my arm that was numb. It actually wasn't until the next morning it felt better. I think it will be interesting to see what changes occur over the next few weeks after this procedure. Tomorrow I will be back into theatre for another procedure, this time on my left shoulder. Next week I'm on the theatre list for a 2 or 3 day procedure at the other hospital. I found last time 3 days was exhausting so Dr Ashish is thinking 2 days will be better. Its not like I'm missing out on less cells as they are injecting more this time than ever before, intra muscular and also large injections just straight into the veins.
So I guess the question on every ones lips, 'are you feeling anything'? I walked today a little further (no burning at all in my calf muscles or spasms in my left calf) and Shivani has introduced a new exercise where I stand and put my hand on a wall wheel. I wanted to put a weight on it today as I'm just pushing the weight of the wheel which is very little, but she said no, so I asked for just a little bit more weight for just 5 repetitions instead of the whole 10, but she said no, so how about just 5 more pushes of the wheel to be 15 and she finally said yes!
I think my right shoulder is getting a bit stronger, but that's while I'm here and getting the cells the real test comes when i get home back into life doing more things for myself and no stemcells.
Todays Wednesday and I'll take Sabine to yoga when she returns from school, she just loves yoga so looks like I'll have to find classes when we return home.
Thank you so much for the emails and comments on my blog, its so wonderful to have contact from home, I appreciate it more than you realise xx

1 comment:

Gyps said...

Hi Claire...don't know of anyone who can talk about having so many needles as though it was par for the course! It's only a week to go and we look forward to you and Val and Sabine returning so that we can hear how things went for you.

Love,

Gypsy and Aunty Grace