Saturday, December 12, 2009

4th and final procedure




Laying in bed the other night with Sabine by my side I thanked her for coming with me and being such a great support, I apologised for being grumpy sometimes but I'm human and I make mistakes. I know every parent thinks there child is the most special, but just work with me for 1 minute, I said to Sabine 'out of all the little girls in the world how did I get the one that was the most special?' and she responded ' Because you have a disability mum God knew you needed someone just like me' Out of the mouths of babes. Both mum and Sabine have worked really well, we've had our ups and downs but that's to be expected, I love and appreciate there support :-)
On Wednesday we went to the other hospital for my final procedure which was an epidural catheter into my back for 2 days. I was wheeled into theatre, transferred onto the table, rolled onto my left side and curled up into a tight ball 'assume the position' I was thinking. As you can see in the picture the catheter was taped to my back and a port was put at my shoulder to administer the cells. Once back in my room I layed on my back for 4 hours with 2 bricks under the foot of my bed to elevate me. I love it when we discuss the 'brick measurement system' with other patients, how many bricks did you have 1, 2 or 3!
Because the procedure was shortened by 1 day Dr Ashish gave me more cells each time. Sometimes I could really feel pressure building up in my head like when you are landing in a plane. The first lot of injections focused on my middle section and it was almost like when you get a stitch playing sport in my chest and tummy, but this passes after about 5 minutes, so I'm not worried anymore.
In the evening I rolled onto my right side, then the next day my left side then the grand finale was on my tummy. Each time I lay still for 2 hours after the cells had been injected.
They have taken a slightly different approach this time and I'm so grateful that Dr Geeta and Dr Ashish try something new with me. I've had a lot more injections this time, 2 in the morning 2 at lunch and 2 in the evening focusing on my shoulders, biceps, triceps, hands, face etc Injected directly into my veins and each week I've had an infusion, plus the 4 procedures so you know what, I think my cup is full!
When I return home I need to be more careful riding my bike. As excited as I was that I jumped 2 levels I actually had done some damage to my calf muscles so luckily now they are feeling better, I'm so stupid sometimes I just got excited that I could do something new and pushed myself to much. So I'll focus on lighter level and less time, physio 3 times per week, hydrotherapy 2 times a week and OT once a week - think that should cover it!
I actually feel different coming home this time. In the past I haven't wanted to leave but I feel like I've grown in some way, maybe because i understand how it all works and I'm giving everything I can. I've had some small changes in my shoulders and I'm so excited about getting home, living life and letting the cells grow.

No comments: