Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Arrived in 1 piece

After a long flight we arrived back at Nutech Mediworld. Sabine was such a great help, even though she was tired as were we. There was a bit of confusion with our room and we were on different floors for the first night, but the next day this was rectified and we now have adjoining rooms with mum. Nora is my carer and she arrived at 9.30am with a beautiful rose for me. She has very good English which is a bonus because I have no Hindi! I went down to physio at 11am and Shivani did an assessment. Some muscle groups have stayed the same, my right leg is a bit stronger and my right hand is slightly weaker. In the afternoon I went back to physio to do my walking which hasn't changed over the last 3 months which in reality is a good thing but it would be good if I'd had some improvements. I had a fall about 2 months ago and my confidence has taken a battering so I haven't been doing alot of walking but have been going to the pool and walking to try and get my confidence back. So shivani will take it slowly with me, just short distances to begin with (20 steps) I had two injections on my first morning in each arm then in the evening I had an injection into my vein and then at the base of my neck on each side. Because I'm here for 1 month they dont waste any time getting into it. I spoke to Dr Ashish last night and shared my concerns and basically that I just don't get the whole thing. I have an exercise bike at home its a Motormed Bike that i sit in my chair and pedal it has a motor which can increase the intensity like you are going up hill. Before my second treatment I would pedal on levels 2 and 3 for 40 minutes, now I can pedal on levels 4 and 5 for 45 minutes which is actually quite a jump as I've never cycled on those levels. I explained this to Dr Ashish and he was pleased but I just don't understand why it doesn't relate to walking. He explained to me that the cells only live between 10 - 12 days if they haven't attached to a muscle to grow, the ones that have attached to the deteriorated muscle continue to grow, but when I've returned home if a new muscle not previously affected by the MD starts to weaken there are no cells floating around to attach to it and stop the break down. Which in reality means that I need an injection each day as a preventative measure, but that's just not going to happen in Australia. So where does that leave me and future treatments.....ummm....I don't know yet, I haven't processed the reality of this I only have enough energy to focus on this treatment, on today, tomorrow hasn't begun yet.
Sabine has settled in really well. when I'm at physio she helps the other therapists with the children having treatment or the siblings who are here and bored! She throws them a ball to catch and is enjoying having this role as helper. In the afternoon she pops down to the nurses station for a little while, helping them and enjoying there company. They all love her and give her lots of hugs and pinch her cheeks. For those who know Sabine know shes a very independent child and knows her own mind...spirited! I love her determination and I know she will make an awesome adult with great life skills, but she is struggling a bit with other people helping me, shes very protective, so its great that the staff here have embraced her desire to help and given her a 'special' role. Don't children have a way of holding a mirror up and reflecting you. When I was a child, about 3 years old, we had no gate on the fence separating the front and back yards, so if I wanted to I could go out the back door through the gate and into the front yard, I never went through but I had the door to freedom if I wanted. Dad finally put a gate up and the next day mum watched me from the kitchen window drag a bin over to the fence, climb up and drop over the other side! When I was give the choice for freedom I didn't take it but as soon as a barrier was put in my way, pffft...theres no way I'd have that! Its that stubborn determination that has kept me going in life and I see it in Sabine, my poor parents ha ha ha!!!!
Back to physio today and this afternoon I had a ride in an ambulance to have tests done ECG and a scan just to make sure all was well with my heart and yes I have one and its healthy. Its always such a drama transferring me in and out of cars and on examination tables, but no body dropped me so that's a good thing :-)
Thanks to those who send me encouraging emails....your words help so much.
2 days down....26 to go (not that anyone is counting ;-)

2 comments:

Russ Kleve said...

All the best for a sucessful treatment, Claire. Good to hear about the bike exercising. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Hi Clair, Sabine and Valia,
sending you best wishes from down under. Wishing you no episodes of Delhi Belly this time around and super wishes for progress.

Perhaps this will launch Sabine into a career as doctor or nurse? What a great insight for her into the global community we live in.

Love to you all,

Leanne, Dion, Cameron and Hayden (who send special hellos to their cousin)