Monday, October 13, 2008

Taj Mahal

(up stairs at the Taj Mahal)









(this photo is the entrance gate into the Taj Mahal)




Hi Guys! What an experience we had on Saturday. Five of us from the hospital arranged a driver to take us on a day trip to see the Taj Mahal. My energy levels were good so i was up for the 9 hour car ride (4.5hours each way) Our driver picked us up at 7am and we were on our way. We were really excited, even with the early start. I called the nurse so i could sigh myself out (a blank piece of paper in my file that she will complete at a later time....'I Claire Anderson am leaving the hospital and take full responsibility....etc) and receive my stem cell injection.
The car ride was eventful in a way that can only take place in Indian traffic. We passed a few elephants and several camels.
We stopped at the state crossing and our driver went to pay the taxes, he told us not to open the doors as it is a bad area. Several people came tapping on the window trying to sell various products from chess boards, jewellery, peacock feather fans and young boys with monkeys and snakes wanting to sell a photo opportunity. Most of us in the car didn't make eye contact. Mark decided to discuss with them why he didn't want to purchase their products, after a while the crowd grew around his side of the car, he was polite explaining and saying 'no thanks mate', but the more he spoke the more he attracted attention.





When we finally arrived at the Taj Mahal we transferred into an electric car which the boys easily transferred me into. Due to the pollution levels cars are no long allowed close to the building. We were dropped as close as we could go and then bought our tickets and given a bottle of water. The gate entrance was amazing, we walked through and i was carried down about 5 steps. Then approaching the Taj Mahal the guide explained the history behind the building, the King built it as a monument for his wife after she died in child birth, her 14th child!!! I can't remember how many wife's he had, but from memory he had about 98 children!





The steps up into it were very steep, made of marble and very crowded. The boys each took a corner of my chair and carried me up. What a fantastic experience, such an incredible building made of marble 6 inches thick. It was incredibly hot and i got dehydrated by the end of the day, but it was well worth the experience. We arrived home around 8.30pm.





Tomorrow I'm going to the other hospital for another procedure, this time one of the doctors came to see me and explained that I will be having an epidural in my back and unlike the spinal cord injured patients who go for 3 days, mine will only be 1 day. Soooooooooo......lets hold our breath and see how this goes. Hopefully the lift will be working again tomorrow, it broke down yesterday and the ward boys had to carry each of us up, we're on the 3rd floor, there's 4 of us to carry up, never mind on the 1st and 2nd floor. This morning for phyio the therapist came up to my room to do my work out, so at least I didn't miss out.





Well...wish me luck for tomorrow......Ciao x

8 comments:

Gyps said...

Well Claire...seeing you being carried up the stairs of the Taj Mahal has a regal quality to it, in the favour of an Indian Princess! Being at the Taj Mahal seems an appropriate background for the event!

Glad to hear that you could combine a little bit of the tourist trip with your treatment. We are all wishing you very well for today and hope the doctors will go genty with you. You are on the home run now. Less than 3 weeks and we will be able to welcome you home. You are completing a remarkable journey.

Love Gyps and Aunty Grace xox

Louis said...

Hey Claire, good to hear your still doing well, best of luck for the procedure!
Cheerio Louis.

Narida said...

Wow, what an experience, glad you were able to get to see the Taj Mahal!
Good luck and lots of positive wishes for tomorrow.
Narida X

Roger said...

Heya Claire :) ...

Thanks for the heads up on the radio interview ... It was cool to hear you share your experience. I hope you werent offended at the human pin cushion jest ... I sort of thought it out afterwards and figured it could have rankled ... brain/mouth filter obviously wasnt on!

I read your third paragraph wrong 1st time round, lol. I thought you were reflecting on your experience of having four guys grab a corner of your chair!!! ... I thought "I'd bet THAT was awesome!!" ...

Anyway ... since work has been a little slow here, I've run into an opportunity to help a mate of mine as an assistant. He installs roof insulation ... what an experience THAT is, I can tell you!! ...

we dress up in the latest Occ health and safety gear and look like something from a CSI quarantine area ... realy cool (NOT!!) ... anyway I'd send you a pic via your email when you get home you laugh your ass off I promise :)) ...

needless to say its dusty and confined (most times) and I'm SO not physically fit yet ... as my legs were protesting at being in a crouched position all the time ... sending signals like "HEY ... tryyyyy to remember we're nearly 40, will ya, and stop tryin' to kill us up here!!" ... (dunno, but good training 4 tennis, may be???)

Sobering to think that, when I got down from a job this morning (6.30-8.30, for crying out loud!!) I reflected on what you are going through atm and suddenly realised it wasnt all that bad.

My heart goes out to you cherub ... at least you have had the guts bite the bullet and DO something ... so: stay the course, hold the line ... and remember that theres not long to go now ...

Wishing you all the best (as always) ... smiles, hugs ... and a cheeky stolen kiss ;)

wodge

Mariette said...

Hi Claire,..you look pretty amazing in the photos with a backdrop of the Taj Mahal. So glad you could experience some of the culture while you are there. I took Oma for some hip xrays today in a Maxi Taxi and the driver, Sam, is from India. I mentioned you were there for treatment and he told me he had listened to your last interview. He knew all about you and we were blown away that we were brought together talking about you with Oma in a wheelchair in the back. How small is this world?! Anyway I hope your last weeks in India prove to be successful for you and we look forward to seeing you soon and hearing more about your experiences there.
Take good care and remember to nestle in the arms of Jesus who holds your future in His hands.
Love Aunty Mariette

Joseph said...

Hi Claire,

I tried to blog you earlier however the system wouldn't accept it & I lost the whole lot - I love technology!
Thanks for the update on the Taj Mahal, I was particularly interested with the use of the electric cars, if they can use them in India why not Australia!

I hope your treatment went well today & continues to for the rest of the time you are up there. We are all thinking of you & looking forward to catching up for a BBQ once you are back & settled.

Sean, Rachel & the rest of the guys at work all send their best wishes as well.

Also, my mum happens to by flying to Delhi India tonight so I have mentioned you to her. It most probably isn't the time for you to be seeing people you don't know very well, but if you happen to have anytime up your sleeve & are up to it let me know as she is up there for a couple of weeks with my cousin.
Anyway gotta fly.

Lots of love Joe, Cath & all the troops.

Lisa said...

Hey Claire...that photo of you guys in front of the Taj, we have that exact same photo...and i am in my wheelchair too! It is pretty much totally amazing os glad you got time to see it.

Teena said...

Hi claire
Just a brief note to let you know we are thinking of you and hoping your healing journey has the desired results. We already know you have the spirit to meet Life's challenges head on.
Love Teena and the rest of the clan