Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Diwali !!


The celebration for Diwali is very similar to Christmas. So on Diwali eve Dr Geeta (pictured left with the nurses) arranged for a priest to come in to perform the 'Puja' (ceremony) it was amazing to be apart of the rituals. Diwali mwans celebration of lights, so all aound Delhi buildings were lit up, our building looked beautiful and candles are a big part of it too. All around the outside of our building candles were lit, oh and did i mention fireworks!! Imagine the Australia Day fireworks, the finale, well thats what it was like for 8 hours straight! And we wanted to be apart of it too. John (guy below in picture with me) and Sylvia went to the markets and bought rockets, crackers and lots of others that I have no name for except - Oh my God...run!!! We just set them off out the front, the ward boys helped us and were just as excited. You can see in the picture below where we were sitting, well John set some off and threw it, as it went off Sylvia ran and hid behind me!! We were all laughing saying...what a great carer hiding behind me!!!

The next morning at physio Dr Geeta came in and asked me how the Diwali celebrations were for me and i commented that we had 'some' fireworks....'Some' she said....really Claire you had 'some'...I saw the mess coming in! John was doinf physio in the other room and I suggested she go and see him and laughed, but she didn't mind, everyone up the street was letting them off and we did offer Sylvia to sweep up the mess! I have to say tha John definately has a 'cheeky' way about him...he's a charmer and only he could get away with this, he's an awsome guy. We were just like kids, painting our faces and just forgetting why we were there for just a few minutes.











1 comment:

Jackie said...

Goodonya Claire and well done. You are an inspiration to us all. You have shown great courage through all your time in India. I hope you are over the worst hun, look forward to catching up with you when you come back to school.
Lov Jackie xxxxx