Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Some photos.....

This picture was taken just before my procedure.


Working with Shavani in physio, you can see by the look on my face it takes me lots of concentration to balance!!






the photos are a bit close so its difficcult to see what I'm doing, Shavni watches me closely while i practice side stepping holding onto the wall. after morning physio I have to stand for six minutes, overtime I've been pushing the walking frame away from me, bit by bit. But over the weekend as i was standing a ward boy with out warning me pulled the frame away, i went into huge anxiety because even though i wasnt holding it i knew it was within arms reach and when standing i tend to focus on one point. I realised then the frame had to go completely for my confidence. So the next day I stood near the physio bed and told Shavini not to get the frame, she wasnt sure at first. I knew the bed was behind me if i needed it, in fact i had to let go of it first! It took all my emotional strength, positive self talk to let go. Well, I did! As Mark reminded me, my bum was close to the bed still, but what was important was that there was nothing for me to reach out to. I kept staring at the ground and Shavini encouraged me to look up. I also discovered that standing still is much harder than if you slightly shift your weight from one leg to the other. The first minute is the most difficult and then my confidence grows, I even talked a bit while standing. (shavini had to remind me to breath and relax my shoulders, I get a bit tense......has anyone noticed that ha ha!!) These are just small steps in my journey, but for once I felt proud of myself and thats not an easy thing for me







4 comments:

Russ said...

Are these stem-cells-working photos?! It appears those babies are working already! Hang in there Claire!

Roger said...

Whooo-hoo!!

Go Claire, you legend!! Walking (if only partialy!) ... soon you'll be learning the waltz! ... you'll have to come dancing with me when you get home, lol.

Seriously, though, congratulations ... in the immortal words of Obi-Wan Kenobi (a guy who Offspring said was 'pretty fly for a Jedi') ... you have just taken your first step into a larger universe!!

I can't believe that gorgeous tush of yours has been hidden in a wheelchair for so long, lol, that's positively a crime. make sure you learn to give it a wiggle!! ;)

Yesterday saw me installing insulation into a house that the Ledger family built (as in Heath's ancestors) ... lovely place and in all likelyhood heritage listed ... for once the roofing gradient was such that I could stand upright in places ... but by golly!, my legs are stiff in the mornings (most especially, and uncomfortably the inside of my thighs!!)

I caught up with a friend from my pre-Christian days, a couple of days ago ... He runs a workshop called AB Performance (the AB being his name) just down the road from Victory in Osbourne Park... he was glad to see me, though being very sardonic in nature, he couldnt bring himself to say it ... he is looking for workers that are a little more dedicated than some he has had at present ... I would have enquired about an apprenticeship (yes Claire, OLD people CAN do apprenticeships!!) ... except I'll be doing Second year at VLBTC next year.

Nice to see you pushing the outside of the envelope ... go you good thing.

Smiles, hugs and of course, that cheek stolen kiss again ;) xx

Rog.

Mariette said...

Dear Claire,
You look amazing standing up there with such determination. Just over a week to go and we will be seeing you back in Perth with so much to share.

Keep looking UP and trust in God for the miracles of healing your Body, Mind and Spirit.i.e: The "3 legged stool -Tripod" that will stand you in good stead. Your life can be an amazing testimony with what He has planned for you Claire.

When I asked Him for healing He gave me this poem to ponder:

"Asking God"
I asked God to take away my pain.
God said,No.
"It is not for me to take away, but for you to give it up."
I asked God to make my handicapped child whole.
God said, No.
"Her spirit was whole, her body was only temporary." (this makes me think of Lauren after her accident)
I asked God to grant me patience.
God said, No.
"Patience is a by-product of tribulations; it isn't granted it is earned."
I asked God to give me happiness.
God said, No.
"I give you blessings. Happiness is up to you."
I asked God to spare me pain.
God said, No.
"Suffering draws you apart from worldly cares and brings you closer to me,"
I asked God to make my sprirt grow.
God said, No.
"You must grow on your own, but I will prune you to make you fruitful."
I asked God for all things that I might enjoy life.
God said, No.
I will give you life, so that you may enjoy all things."
I asked God to help me love others, as much as He loves me.
God said.....
"Ahhh, finally you have the idea"
(Author: Claudia Minden Welz)

I know how hard it has been for me to live with painful memories, bodily pain, emotional and spiritual pain.
However, whenever the going was unbearable and too much for me to handle, I surrendered all to Jesus, who completely understands everything we go through because He went through it all in 33 years until He was Cruisified. He came to teach us 'how' to live and trust God and give God the Glory when we are overcomers of adversity and sickness with His help.
Even though I live with all of the physical weaknesses in my body and mind, God has renewed my Spirit, and with that renewed spirit I can walk in power and strength. My life will never be as big a testimony to 'courage and determination' like yours, I know that for sure, but in my suffering God has drawn me closer to Him and when I stop doing things my way and let go, He does beaut things for me and those around me as a spin-off.

Darling girl, I can't be humorous when I write to you as I know we are not dealing with a humorous method of treatment in your body and all the pain you are enduring.

All I want to do is to touch you with the love that I was touched with when I was 28 years of age and needed a miracle.

Your epression of time in India has been nothing short of enlightening and amusing and your voice spills over whenever I read of where you are at.

So angel, meditate on what is good and God will give you the desires of your heart.
Love Aunty Mariette x

Unknown said...

Claire you are an inspiration and a force of nature,never give in and never give up!!!

Love ,health and happiness

The flight attendant who spoke to you PERTH /Hong Kong.