Friday, October 31, 2008

I'm leaving on a jet plane.....

My last night in India we went to the Imperial Hotel, it was amazing, very well to do and really romantic. Unfortunately Sylvia had a migraine and had to stay home and sleep, I was in two minds leaving her, the Dr gave her an injection and she slept, we missed her.

This picture is the alley way entrance into the other hospital. On Friday i was sent to have my last procedure. I was nervous because I was told i was having the spinal injection which caused me so much pain last time. When I arrived I asked to speak to Dr Ashish and he said instead he would do the epidural catheter, however to be honest I think he did the injection but gave me a local anaesthetic. To be honest I don't care either way just as long as I got my stem cells and didn't feel the pain. The procedure went well, i was transferred back onto my bed and like before bricks were placed under the foot of the bed so my feet were raised up and i lay there for just over 4 hours.
During my last physio session Shivani measured my arms and legs which showed slight changes. We worked out that I've probably had about 10% improvement which for an MD patient is good because initially they focus on stabilization. Also my CPK levels are at 60, let me explain, CPK is an enzyme that the muscles release when they are breaking down or traumatised, for example when someone has a heart attack the heart muscle would release high levels of CPK. After reading Dr Geetas book other patients with MD had levels up to 4000, they aim for the levels to be below 1oo, so because mine are at 60 it means the Dr Geeta has given me enough stem cells to stop the muscle break down and now we begin the journey to re-grow the muscle. However, as I explained previously I need to continue with the stemcells so that my CPK levels don't rise again.
I'm planing to return at the end of February, this time I will need to do some fundraising as many others here have done, so if anyone has a good ideas please let me know.
Because I know people are reading my blog from all over I will up date my progress at home as the stemcells will continue to keep working......so until next time.....go well!!

1 comment:

Narida said...

Hi Claire,
What an amazing journey you have been on! Great news that there has been improvement and your enzyme levels are down! Have a great flight back and see you at school some time soon. Lotsa love always, Narida XOXOX