Thursday, July 9, 2009

Lets do the time warp again!!!

If you were making a movie during the war time period (WWI or WWII) the other hospital would be the perfect setting to recreate the atmosphere and location. Its not bad just different. The procedure went well. I had an epidural catheter in the base of my neck. I lay on my left side curled up into a foetal position, the theatre staff have to help hold my legs curled up tightly and my chin on my chest, its a tight squeeze. For Muscular Dystrophy it doesn't seem to make sense to use the epidural catheter however as the stem cells are injected in I feel the familiar rush of cells go up the left side of my neck and spread out into my left shoulder, this intensifies as more cells are injected in. Once Dr Ashish has finished I'm rolled flat on my back and he tilts the table to the right and so my head is a fair bit lower than my legs, I lay like this until I can feel the cells moving to the right side of my body and into the shoulder area. About 15 minutes goes by and I'm transferred onto a bed to be taken back to my room. I transfer back to my lower bed, the bottom legs are raised up using bricks and i have to lay like that for 4 1/2 hours. I slept for a little bit. After an hour i was allowed to eat and Gaye had made Vegemite and cheese sandwiches! Much easier to eat on your back than rice. Another hour passed and I kept asking Gaye what the time was, 5 minutes since you last asked Claire! Dinner came and Gaye fed me the lamb as I lay there. Eventually I was able to roll onto my right side then left and the to sitting...yippee!! We arrived back to NuTech Hospital around 9.15pm, it was still stinking hot outside and we were sweating. Didn't sleep so well that night, my head was thinking over time about my treatment and I just couldn't relax.
Woke Wednesday morning and went to physio. I felt good no stiffness in my neck. Shivani and I did our usual hour session, then back in the afternoon for my kicking and walking. That night I caught up with a patient from Melbourne whos here for 3 months and its his first time. He had a Tens machine which we put on my arms, it sends a pulse to exercise the muscles. It was a good feeling. The hospital has one which I didn't realise. I finally got approval from Dr Geeta today that I can use it on my feet (Dorsey flex er muscles) to help with the foot drop and my hands as my hands haven't strengthened up as yet. When I go back to physio this afternoon Shivani will use it.
I discovered something really positive today. I met Dr Geetas mum who is here having treatment. She had a stroke about 6 weeks ago. She's going through just what we are and she's showing improvements. You certainly wouldn't use this treatment on your mother if you didn't believe in it, I just think its a really good sign.
It finally rained last night so its a bit cooler outside. The temperature ranges from 40 - 45 degrees.
I can't believe one week has passed already, 4 more to go! (not that anyone is counting!) Emotionally I'm bit up and down but I know that's to be expected. Dr Geeta made a comment the other day at the meeting that the Australians are very emotional, much more than the Americans, there is definitely a cultural difference. Gaye is handling everything really well, shes making friends with the others and being den mother to the younger guys. Well lunch just turned up, we've ordered Subway today!!

5 comments:

Gyps said...

Hi Claire,

Big Aunty here. Glad to hear that you are doing so well and working hard. It made me tired just reading about it.
I look forward to your progress and return.

Love and prayers,
Aunty Grace
xox

Gyps said...

Hi Claire,

Looks like things are going very smoothly. Being a second timer you probably feel like you can show the new ones the ropes!

I'm glad you can buy something as Australian as Subway...and I do hope that Gaye likes curry!

Love and best wishes for every (little) step of the way!

Gyps
x

Unknown said...

Hi Claire
Sound realy positive!
Keep working
Love
John

Julkie said...

Hiya Claire,
good to see you are your usual bright, chirpy, positive self and that things are going well - sounds like a hard slog but you know the routine now so hopefully things will be a little easier this time round.
Don't get hooked on those Bollywood movies! Any good curry recipes?
Love Julie, Vincie and BeckyBoo

Bill and Sam said...

HI!!

Wow, nearly 2 weeks now!!
Keep that gorgeous smile smiling and your determination as strong as ever. You can do it!!!

Heaps of love
Sam, Bill