Monday, July 6, 2009

Getting into routine...

I have to share the funny story of the nurses call button. You see it looks just like the light switches. Second day here Gaye was looking for the light switch as her room has no window and pressed the nurses button which gives off a loud buzzing noise, the familiar sound of thongs flip flopping came up the hall way, we apologised for the mistake. The next day, much to my delight Gaye pressed it again and the nurse came running to our door, by day three when Gaye once mistook the switch again and pressed the nurses button she got to the door first apologising profusely and we all had a laugh.
Sunday night we gathered in the common room to eat pizza and get to know each other better. As far as I was concerned it was call for celebration and cake was in order! Gaye went and picked up a cake (chocolate of course) for all of us to share, theres just something about food and friendship that goes hand in hand! We all come with a story to share, hope in our hearts and a warrior spirit.
Its mango season here and we have been indulging in the sweet fruit. Gaye is like a kid in a candy store! Gaye and I went to City Walk with a couple of guys from here to pick up a few supplies. A young guy Dan who's here supporting his friend has been a great support taking Gaye out to the local shops and picking up things for us, Gaye refers to him as 'the great catch' much to his embarrassment.
Physio was good on Monday, Shivani is incorporating new exercises. I stand holding onto something steady and then kick a ball with each foot at a time, you've heard of 'Bend it like Beckham' now we have 'kick it like claire' (its the cabin fever!) we're trying to improve my step length. I was exhausted yesterday and slept for 2 1/2 hours in the afternoon and then also slept well last night. I'd forgotten how full on this treatment is. I got the results back from my CK tests which show if there is muscle break down, they were 117, which is still in a good range but higher than they usually are, mine don't go above 80 so I think the small increase would explain my hand.
My day today didn't start so well. The bathroom floor is very slippery I brought with me rubber mats but they don't stick to the floor very well and while having a shower I slipped over and think I aged Gaye several years in the process! I just need to be more careful and not trust the bath mats not to move, I was ok just hit my head and stubbed my toe. The nurses came and together with Gaye they got me up again.
I'm having my first procedure today. I'll go off to physio soon, then there is a meeting with all the patients and Dr Geeta and Dr Ashish. After that I'll head over to the other hospital to have an epidural procedure after which I have to lay on my back for 4 hours with my feet elevated, its going to be a long day.

5 comments:

mammabear said...

Hi Guys
Glad to see all going well and treatment/physio progressing. Home fires are still burning brightly Beanie is going well and Mozart is sulking as usual!Keep your chins up girls Lotsaluv from all of us at home
Ma/Valia John Beanie etc's

big sis said...

Sack whoever brought those bloody stupid bath mats!!! sending love hugs and kisses xxx;>

Bill and Sam said...

Hi Claire,
Hope the procedure went well!!
Sounds like they are cramming in the treatment and physio...I'm exhausted just reading about it!!
You're in our thoughts and prayers,
Sam and Bill xxx :)

Bill and Sam said...

ps...do you have access to email??
xxx

Anonymous said...

Hey Claire,

good to see you've arrived safely and wow - definitely all systems go. Hope there are many more progress'steps' forward. Love those mangoes!! Go for it.

Thinking of you and best wishes from down under.

Leanne and boys xxx